Monday, June 3, 2013

PE10 Summative Assessment


Well first, my attendance in class has been very good. I've never missed a day and whenever I was late (for the Japanese Hosting thing for example) I would quickly get ready for class and bring my "A game". At times I would have to sit out of class (like at the beginning of the year when my foot was hurt really badly) but I would still do my best to contribute in some way, like go on my blog and update it when I couldn't do fitness. When I'm in class I always come prepared with a gym strip, water bottle and a motivation for the day!

My fitness has changed a lot actually. From the beginning of the year, with a 8.8 on the beep test, I was able to get a 9.3 last fitness day. As well, my personal fitness has improved. For example, I used to do really bad in runs and relay stuff in grade 8 and 9. Now I can run at full sprint around the pond for the pond run. As well, I can now proudly say that running is one of my greatest physical capabilities. I think I've changed in fitness because lately I've been really concious of my fitness and trying to eat healthy. For one, I don't eat carbohydrates (like rice and pasta) as much and subsitute it for salad instead. As well, I've been excersizing bit by bit lately by playing badminton with my dad and being a part of the team and by walking home mostly everyday.

In class I always bring a positive dynamic and feeling. An example of this is fitness days. Whenever we do fitness in pairs or with the whole first block, I always encourage people to do their best and I always boost up my partner's morale by cheering them on by telling them things like "come on only 5 seconds left" or "you got this! You got this!" If you need any other proof, I invite you to ask Katie, Gurpreet and Amy from Mr. Vaughn's class and Janey, Rene and Simran from my class (Mr. Davis).

To me, being physically educated means to know how to take care of your body in a multitude of fun, team/friend-friendly ways. I say this because before in my P.E. experiences, I never felt that whole group dynamic/encouragement factor and I somewhat hated P.E. at that point because it seemed so... I don't know how to put it, lonely, I suppose? Almost as if all the things that you had to do in order to bring yourself to where you want to be was a lone quest. Don't get me wrong: I know fitness comes from within oneself; and in acknowledging that I think I'm ready for independance, but I think with this year, especially when I was shown the different fitness stuff that I could do with my friends, I was really uplifted. I think I'm independant because even though I like doing fitness with friends better than by myself, I recognize that all in all it boils down to me and my actions and decisions.

A grade I would like to have would be an A. I think I deserve it because I have plenty of intrinsic motivation (wanting to push myself and give myself a challenge, wanting to improve on myself) and I also have plenty of self-derived extrinsic motivation (wanting to improve my fitness, "racing my shadow" during the hill runs). I also am very supportive of people in class and I'm always prepared for the day ahead. I feel that an A is a perfect representation for this.

Some barriers that can impede on my healthy/active lifestyle is work and rest. I won't deny it, even as I speak (or rather, type) I still have lots of work to do for my English and Science classes and their provincials coming up. And I won't lie, as soon as I'm done studying for the day, I want to sleep. Over the past three weeks now; and I know it's not healthy but I'm working on it by taking naps when I can, I've been what society calls "sleep deprived". At my age (that makes me sound old, haha) I should be getting 9 hours of sleep. Lately because of school work, I've been getting 7-8 hours on a regular day. Again, I know that's not healthy, but by acknowledging it I think I'm doing pretty well, haha. This impacts my lifestyle because I know the future effects that loss of sleep can have on me. Furthermore it impacts me because when I have free time, I'm not going to do a couple of fitness activites, I'm going to sleep. This vicious circle isn't good for me, I know, but I've been working on it.

For example, let's say I have 8 things to do throughout the week (a normal day for me). I've been setting my priorities by writing them in my planner and ranking them off according to what is more important/should be dealt with first. (I've been doing this for a while, but I've really stepped it up lately due to loss of sleep and exams.) I rank them according to how important they are and according to how long I think it'll take me. I get the fast and important things done first, and the rest is history. That way I can, theoretically, be done faster and sleep more, therefore giving me energy for the next day.

To sum it all up with a couple of sidenotes, I think this is the best year I've EVER had for my body and my fitness. From the start of the year 'till now I've lost 10-20 pounds (WOO HOO!!) and I've picked up friends and new skills that can further reduce my waist line (haha). I recognize my lapses in wellness judgement (my sleeping patterns) but I'm ready to tackle them and work on them as I pass through everyday. I'm also happy to report that I had a nap today, so I got an extra hour of sleep. (Yay!) If there was anything I learned here in PE 10, it's to (and yes, it's a cliche) never give up, cheer on others and cheer on yourself!

... I think feelings like this are what I love about PE the most. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment